BY SARAH WHITTON
YouTube and social media platforms are becoming influential and important ways of spreading awareness about the issues we face today. Recently, both new and old platforms are embracing unusual topics sometimes deemed taboo by mainstream media, in fresh, artistic and open ways via the internet. So without further ado, here are some YouTube channels for you to explore that will most likely teach you something new in the space of a few minutes.
1. i-D is a social media content creator that draws you deep into unknown worlds and issues that are hidden amongst the mainstream media. The curated and stylish YouTube channel offers different episodes revolving around topics including beauty, music, culture and countless more. Overall, i-D is simultaneously insightful and entertaining taking you into the minds and experiences of some of the world’s most elusive subcultures.
2. StyleLikeU explores how true style is the result of radical self-acceptance. The What’s Underneath Project, which features shape-shifting models, activists and artists sees the empowered individuals claiming their self-acceptance by removing layers of clothing whilst talking about their style and identity. The interviews are sure to teach you something about the construction of beauty in our society and how identity is entirely defined by you. Their videos are simply beautiful and full of raw emotion that captivates all audiences.
3. From every corner of the planet, Vice’s immersive, caustic, ground-breaking and often bizarre stories have changed the way people think about culture, crime, art, parties, fashion, protest, the internet and other subjects that don’t even have names yet. Vice will expand how you think and perceive many various topics in an informative and intriguing way through their carefully researched and state of the art programming.
4. Broadly is a website and digital video channel devoted to representing the multiplicity of women’s experiences. Through original reporting and documentary film, Broadly provides a sustained focus on the issues that matter most to women. Their videos are so raw and demonstrating the diversity of women all around the globe, they are definitely worth a look whether you are male or female.
5. Motherboard travels the world to uncover the tech and science stories that define what’s coming next for this quickly-evolving planet of ours. Motherboard are dedicated to bringing their audience honest portraits of the futures we face, so you can be better informed in our decision-making today. The gripping stories and relatable format work together to make truly entertaining videos.
Cover Image: Grace Neutral for i-D